As I was saying...

So anyway, as I was saying, I have no idea where I'll be next week apart from starting my little challenge in Maidenhead. Then I'm off to wherever the dice take me.
Just so those of you that don't yet know can get the whole picture, let me fill in a few details.First off take a look here then come back and finish reading this bit.
Hi, Glad you made it back. So now you know what I'm doing, here's a bit about why and how my faith in human nature has been restored to it's former glory in just one weekend.
Maidenhead is a place that is very important to me... now at least. Maidenhead is where Alexander Devine Children's Hospice Services are going to build a hospice. This will be the only, yes, ONLY place in Berkshire where parents can get the kind of care they need for their children who are unfortunate enough to be suffering from life limiting illnesses. Palliative care in Berkshire is a must have, not a nice to have, or maybe it would be handy to have, but a must have resource. I can not begin to tell you how upset I get seeing children suffer, or parents suffering because they can not do anything to help. Those of you that know me will be aware that I have done quite a bit for children's charities over the last few years. I've walked miles, raced against a nutter in a kayak across the country, climbed mountains in the Himalayas, even half drowned myself attempting to keep up with that same guy in a kayak whilst swimming in the Kennett and Avon.
Well now it's the turn of Alexander Devine to have to put up with me for a while at least. Now in the past when I've tried to get sponsors for these things, it has been like trying to get blood out of a stone, but today (Saturday) was different, without even trying very hard. As luck would have it, I was doing my day job today as medical cover for a food festival in Wokingham. Some Alexander Devine volunteers were there selling raffle tickets along with the excellent support they have from the guys and girls from Hunters Estate Agents who introduced me to a slightly crazy but fantastic woman called Karen from Titan Storage Solutions who also offered to help then took me to meet the fantastic people from Yu! who not only offered to help but kept their promise on the day and handed me a box of healthy snacks later that afternoon, enough to keep me fed for the duration of my challenge. At least the packaging says healthy snacks but having tried them, they can't be, as healthy food never tasted this good before :o) Even some of the local council men got in on the act. These were not the sort you see leaning on shovels staring into holes in the road for days on end, oh no. These were a bunch of great blokes, dressed as Rio the Chicken from My Journey Wokingham who basically are your one stop destination for travel information and advice in and around the Wokingham Borough. They, or should I say, Rio the chicken supplied me with water bottles, day glow safety bits and bobs so that I don't get run down should I be on the road at night, plus several other goodies.

The support from people at the food festival was amazing, the people I mention above are all amazing, The Wokingham Food Festival is amazing, even if it does play havoc with my Adonis like figure :o| So thanks guys.
http://www.huntersnet.co.uk/site-parts/hunters-logo.png 
 
http://www.myjourneywokingham.com/sites/default/files/My-Journey-Wokingham-Logo.png 
and last but by no means least, Rio!
 https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1187158_10151888354393185_295302269_n.jpg

Comments

Popular Posts