Anaphylaxis - Auto Injectors - Stuff
What is Anaphylaxis anyway and what is an auto injector?
Lets start with the basics...
- Anaphylaxis is a life threatening allergic reaction.
- Now here's the myth bit.
- NO you can not use Will's auto injector if Tommy Lee is having an allergic reaction.
- NO you can not give an adult dose to a child.
- NO you, as a lay person should not inject anyone else.
- YES, you can assist Will to use his own auto injector. You can open the packet, take it out, remove it from it's case and even remove the safety cap. Then hand it to Will to inject himself with.
- YES, if you have been trained to recognise anaphylactic shock, on a Beyond First Aid course for example, and you know the name on the label from the chemist matches the name of the person having the 'bad day' and the liquid in the device is clear and colourless, and the device is 'in date' (as should be your certificate/s to prove you're trained) and the person is unable to do it him or herself, YES inject them with the stuff. You may just save their life.