What's in your sack?

As the actress said to the bishop...
It may have come to your attention that I'm doing quite a bit of walking. Nothing new there, I'm always walking. The difference is, I'm walking 2012 miles this year. A mere 5.5 miles a day because it's a leap year. 
I was talking about this with Ollie Rastall just the other day over a Costa Coffee, like you do. 
We were talking about my walking, the distance, and was I carrying anything with me. Well, the answer is yes. I'm carrying the same things I would carry if I was on a hike in some far off place, maybe in the lakes, or up a smaller hill maybe. Even though at the moment I'm staying local and usually only a bus ride from home if needed.
If it was easy it wouldn't be a challenge etc. etc.
If, or should I say, when I do some longer walks, the kit will be extended to include some extra goodies like the ones I used when I walked from Glasgow to Reading (even though I did do it in two bits due to a twisted ankle in Leeds)
I tell you what, here comes some of my famous lists. This is not everyone's idea of perfect 'stuff' but it has looked after me on numerous occasions, and if it works, why change it?

Personal day to day kit
  • Rucksack
  • Waterproof jacket and trousers
  • Map and Compass 
  • Torch with spare batteries
  • Gaiters just in case
  • Drink and food (more than I think I'll need)
  • Whistle
  • Hat, gloves and spare warm top whatever the weather when I leave home
  • Sun cream
  • Insect repellent
  • First aid kit
  • Camera 
  • Mobile phone
For longer walks, as above but also...
  • Sleeping bag
  • Tent or Hammock (I prefer the later) 
  • Sleeping mat 
  • Eating Irons (KFS or a spork)
  • Stove and fuel
  • Mess tins or similar
  • Matches, lighter and mag stick (spark type not the torch)
  • Spare food
  • Spare socks
  • Spare warm top and trousers
If I'm lucky enough to be out and about when white stuff is all around then the kit gets bigger as does the sack on my back. It can include all sorts of lovely stuff, here are just a few of the essentials
  • Helmet
  • Harness
  • Rope (if I'm in the hills, and includes a selection of 'biners, prussik loops, etc)
  • 4 Season boots
  • Ice axe
  • Crampons
  • Goggles
  • Spare fleece or jacket (Love my Paramo)
  • Shovel
  • Emergency Bivvi
The list goes on
What kit do you carry that I have not mentioned here? What's your favourite luxury item when out walking?


Comments

Popular Posts