I was almost right!

tick /tik/ n. various arachnids of the order Acarina, parasitic on the skin of dogs and cattle etc. colloq. an unpleasant or despicable little bugger that is high on my "I don't like you" list! 

I wrote a couple of weeks ago about removing the offending beasts if you should be unlucky enough to find one attached. 
There are a couple of things I should mention...
Don't use oils, potions and lotions, don't try and burn them or drown them with petroleum jelly. Doing these things will only upset the critter and make it sick, not good when it's mouth parts are buried in your skin, I think you'll agree. 
Now I said that the only way to get rid of one was to be like Chubby Checker, and do the twist. I still stand by this and still suggest that a tick removal tool is used. 
But, and I stand corrected here, (yes, even I make mistakes). My new friends at BADA-UK have asked me look again at the evidence if using pointed tweezers, so I did, carefully, and now I'll say this...
IF you have a tick removal tool, follow the instructions carefully. This will mean doing the twist.
BUT if you only have tweezers then the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Health Protection Agency (HPA) advice against twisting as it is recognised that the uneven pressure applied to the tick's mouth parts can lead to these breaking away from the body of the tick. Unless you want to walk around with festering tick bits under your skin, which I'm advised is not a good look this season, follow this advice.
Now take a look at my new friends website. It's here where you can find everything you need to know about Ticks, removing them and the nasty stuff they can leave behind.
 
Oh, and one last thing, Ray Mears, you know the guy, bushcraft, survival type who scared Ewan McGregor half to death, and told the story of the real heroes of Telemark, yeah him. One of my heroes of the great outdoors, that's the fellow. Well, he's Patron of BADA-UK 

Comments

Popular Posts