You just know their waiting for me!

Oh yes, they know I'm coming and their waiting for me. New boots, broken in, but still new all the same. A long walk... OK a very long walk over ten days. Walking for anything between 10 and 15 hours a day, carrying everything we need on our backs, drinking whilst on the move, stopping only when absolutely necessary. I am the target of attack. I am risking my very sanity to try and avoid these horrors, known to some as nothing better than terrorists. Attacking ramblers, hikers and climbers, but also dancers, teachers and even unsuspecting party goers. The enemy at my door, or should I say 'in my boots' are Blisters!
These pockets of fluid in the upper layers of the skin are usually caused by rubbing or friction. They can however be caused by excessive temperatures (hot or cold), chemicals or infection. Most blisters are filled with a clear fluid called serum or plasma. However, blisters can be filled with blood or with pus if there’s an infection about. Some are caused by a reaction to certain medications including some antibiotics, and there are a number of rarer blistering skin conditions, some of which are caused by an autoimmune reaction, where the body’s immune system attacks cells in the skin. But for me, I think it’s safe to say that the everyday ‘rubbing’ blisters will be my arch enemy.
So it’s thanks to Johnson & Johnson I guess for their small but perfectly formed donation towards my first aid kit. I shall be sporting the very latest in ‘Blister Killers’ in the form of Anti-Blister Sticks and Blister plasters from Compeed, the latest company to offer their support as I stride out and try to raise as much cash as possible for a couple of very worthwhile charities.


Treating Blisters.

Now some people say cover them, some say don't. Some say pop 'em some don't. Some even go as far as to heat up a needle and stab yourself with it. Don't! That's all I'm going to say! Don't go stabbing yourself. As for which treatment is the right one? In my spare time (hahaha) I'm working on a First Aid website, (I teach this stuff you know) but until then, I'm afraid your just going to have to wait. Unless you want to bribe me by sending cash for the charities then I'll spill the beans.

Comments

Popular Posts